2020 League Information and Rules
Each scheduled week of play is a 6:00 pm shotgun start for nine holes of golf. It is recommended that you arrive 15 minutes early so that you are aware of your starting hole and opponents and ready to start at 6:00.
This year's league will include 52 teams, with 13 divisions of four teams. Your mission is to finish with the most total points out of your four team division.
THE RED DIVISION will include just four teams. These teams will play each other twice during the year. For the first round of matches, each match will be worth a total of 10 points + participation points. The second time each team meets, the match will be played for a possible 15 points + participation points. Please see further rules below about points, mentioning other details on points such as maximum points a team can win in a lopsided match, maximum points a team can win when having two subs, etc.
ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE, PURPLE AND BLACK DIVISIONS Each color division will have two separate "quads" of four teams (A Quad and B Quad). A team will play each of the other seven teams in their color division one time. Matches against teams in the opposite quad will each be played for a total of 10 points + participation points at stake. Matches against the three teams within your same quad will each be played for a possible 15 points + participation points at stake. Please see further rules below about points, mentioning other details on points such as maximum points a team can win in a lopsided match, maximum points a team can win when having two subs, etc.
OVERALL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS The 13 teams who win the points race of their quad division will compete in a horse derby on Thursday, August 13th. Both team members must be able to play on the 13th for the chance to be overall league champions. In the event of a rain out (course unplayable) on the 13th, the horse race derby would instead be hosted on August 20th. Please mark your calendars.
BYE WEEK SUBSTITUTES WILL BE NEEDED League players are encouraged and allowed to be substitutes during their bye week, but can only sub for a match in a different colored league.
Entry Fee: $60.00 per player ($120.00 per team)
Projected Payout Breakdown ($6,240.00 paid in for entry fees)... 100% payout in golf shop merchandise credit
$2,470.00 - $190.00 per four team quad - Season Point Total Races ($50, $25, $20 each player finishing top three)
$440.00 - Payout to Final three teams in the Champions Horse Derby ($150, $50, $20 each player)
$768.00 - Flag Prizes ($12.00 per flag prize) for eight weeks of matches
$80.00 - Red Division teams will have a special competition opportunity on July 16th since they have one less match than other divisions)
$2,100.00 - $350.00 for added prizes in each Fun Night (May 14th, July 2nd, August 6th, August 20th, August 27th, September 3rd)
$200.00 - Funds reserved, to be determined later
$182.00 - Trophies for the overall league champion team
Format & Rules
- The format is a team combined score, match play competition on each hole (handicap strokes will be applied to appropriate holes for handicap purposes) Example - Team one, player A scores a 5 with a handicap stroke for a net 4, while player B scores a 4 without a handicap stroke on hole 1. In comparison, Team two, player A scores a 5 with a handicap stroke for a net 4, while player B scores a 5 without a handicap stroke....Team one wins the first hole 8 to 9.
- For the enjoyment of all players, please be cognizant of your pace of play and play ready golf. As of 6-29-17, we no longer have a maximum score rule... please play the hole out or pick up and concede the hole if you desire.
- Men over the age of 60 may play the White/Gold Combo tees if they choose to. Men over the age of 65 may play the Gold Tees if they choose to. However, all players must stay with the same set of tees for the duration of the summer so that the handicaps are accurate, please do not change tees from week to week.
- Regarding gimmes..... while our main goal is having fun, the points are still being tracked for prizes. It is suggested that all players hole out their putts. Those three and four foot putts can make a big difference not only in the match but also in your handicap for the future weeks. If it is a short one foot putt it certainly can be conceded by the opponent, but it should not be expected that your opponent concede putts of a length such as three or four feet that can be missed at times.
- Starting this year, we will be using USGA handicaps. All participants and substitutes will be required to have a USGA Handicap.
- The maximum handicap given for 9 hole matches is 18 (same as 36 for 18 hole handicap)
- Matches must be played at 6:00pm Thursday as scheduled. If all four players in a match agree that they would like to halve the match rather than have subs because they all cannot attend, they are allowed to split match 5 to 5, or 7.5 to 7.5 with no participation points.
Match Points & Participation Points
Points against teams in other quad - (for Red Division... 1st match) Each hole valued at 1.0 point. A tie on the hole earns each team 0.5 point. The overall winning team of the 9 hole match earns one additional point, making a total of 10 points possible to win each weekly match (one point on each hole + one for match).
Points against teams in same quad - (for Red Division.... 2nd match) Each hole valued at 1.5 points. A tie on the hole earns each team .75 point. The overall winning team of the 9 hole match earns an additional 1.5 point, making a total of 15 points possible to win each weekly match
We do have a cap on maximum points awarded each week to protect from incorrect handicaps or a player having an off-night effecting the overall season point race. Please see "Maximum Points Allowed Per Week" category below.
We will continue with awarding "participation points". Each night a permanent team member plays in league, the team will receive an additional 0.50 point (1.00 point possible per team per league night). This will create a slight advantage for those that do not have substitutes as often. The reasoning for this is that if a team ended up winning the league and had subs most of the time, they wouldn't really feel as though they deserved to win.
Teams will be awarded 5 points + 1 point participation on their bye week
Quad Tiebreaker.... at the end of the season, any ties for 1st Place or 2nd Place in a division will be broken by the outcome of the head to head match(es) that was played between the two teams during the season. If the head to head match was a tie or if all 9 holes of that match were not played due to a rainout, then the point totals won on the final week of play will determine the winner of the tiebreaker. If a team that wins a quad forfeits their opportunity to play in the horse derby, a 2nd place team will not be allowed to take their place.
Maximum Points Allowed Per Week
- Maximum limts on weekly point totals won will be in effect. The maximum points a team can win in a match against an opponent in opposite quad (Red division = 1st match) is 7.5 points out of 10 points, not including the teams participation points. The points exceeding this amount will not be awarded to any team. (Example: Team A wins 9 to 1.... actual match outcome will be 7.5 points to 1 point).
The maximum points a team can win in a match against an opponent in the same quad (Red division = 2nd match) is 11.25 out of 15 points, not including the team's participation points. The points exceeding this amount will not be awarded to any team (Example: Team A wins 13.5 to 1.5.... actual match outcome will be 11.25 to 1.5).
- Maximum Points Allowed with Two Substitutes: If both players of a team are gone with two subs present, the maximum points that team can win is 5 points, or 7.5 points in a cross-quad match. If the subs win more points than this, the points exceeding this amount will not be awarded to any team. (Example: Subs playing for Team A win 9 points to 1 point in a 10 point match.... Actual outcome will be Team A wins 5 points and Team B will receive 1 point)
- Rainouts will not be rescheduled, with the only exception being if it occurred on the final week of competition on July 23rd (For this final week of play, all matches must play at least 5 holes before a rain out in order to have a fair finish to the points race. We will reschedule this round to take place on August 6th if necessary. For all other weeks of play that are shortened due to weather, any holes completed before inclement weather stops play will be counted, while any remaining holes will be halved on the point totals. The match point will also be halved unless a team has already won at least five points (or 7.5 points in a 15 point match) before the rain out. If no holes were played, the match would be a tie. If any holes have been played before the rainout, then "participation points" will still be awarded to those who are present.
- In the unfortunate event that a league player does not arrive to play, or does not find a sub, or is late to arrive, the opposing team will play against a "Ghost" player in their absence to determine their points won. The ghost player's scores are a predetermined score as follows... (Ghost team score is a net score of one over par on even numbered holes and net even par on odd numbered holes). The team with the absent player will not be eligible to win any points on the holes that the player is absent.
2020 Thursday League Schedule
May 14 Fun Night #1 (optional - not required to attend)
May 21 League Play Week #1
May 28 League Play Week #2
June 4 League Play Week #3
June 11 League Play Week #4
June 18 League Play Week #5
June 25 League Play Week #6
July 2 Fun Night #2 (optional - not required to attend)
July 9 NO EVENT (Member-Guest)
July 16 League Play Week #7
July 23 League Play Week #8 (Final week of matches)
July 30 NO EVENT (Northwest Am)
August 6 Raindate for July 23rd - if not needed, this will be a Fun Night
August 13 Champions Horse Derby Competition
August 20 Fun Night (optional - not required to attend)
August 27 Fun Night (optional - not required to attend)
September 4 Fun Night (optional - not required to attend)
Please click on the proper orange tab above to see which weeks are your bye weeks! Different Divisions have different schedules
Substitutes .... These gentlemen have indicated that they would like to substitute if you are unable to play a particular week. Please note that you can have any other SGCC member replace you as a sub and they do not have to be on the list. Also, any league participants who have a bye week are allowed to sub for you as long as their team is not in your league division color.
(not listed in any particular order)
2020 Subs List - Confirmed
Tom Howe 260-8829
Lee Miller 346-8390
Drew Hough 363-6199
Chris Self 605-430-3328
Dutch VanBruggen 363-6444
2019 List - Haven't Touched Base With
Larry Wegner 262-3649
Jeff Thomas 363-5456
Andy Anderson 363-6166
Dave Raveling 260-9120
Sid Fitch 363-4844
J.P. Greer 260-4802
Dan VanBerkum 240-3700
Garry Slota 363-2765
Ross Brockshus 260-8953
Steve Drucker 402-639-6020
Steve Cook 363-3218
Dave Spark 260-3978
Curt Jones 363-4448
Dave Jacobsen 240-5253
Perre Wimmer 260-1717
Colin Slattery 363-6549